Three Trends Driving Vitamins and Supplements

August 4, 2022
by SPINS Marketing

Why Amazon, Attributes, and Label Claims Matter

According to the Nutrition Business Journal’s Supplement Business Report, supplements showed staying power in 2021 even as shoppers returned to more traditional shopping behavior. The beginning of the pandemic spurred historic 14.5% growth in 2020, a rate that was destined to level off once the world moved away from lockdown life. Still, the supplements market grew an impressive 7.5% in 2021, hinting at new daily routines for shoppers who embraced supplements during the pandemic.

To help you stay on top of the growing supplements space, here are 3 trends you should know about:


  1. Supplements Find an Audience on Amazon

Amazon has emerged as a go-to platform for supplements customers looking for the right option for their wellness goals. Now that shoppers have embraced an omnichannel mentality, supplements are generating significant revenue on Amazon:

  • VMS grew 29% year over year on Amazon
  • 4 categories generated more than $400 million in annual revenue
  • 28 subcategories generated more than $100 million in annual revenue
  • 41 subcategories generated more than $50 million in annual revenue

While Amazon continues to establish a strong presence in the supplements market, other retailers continue to still dominate. Amazon accounts for 25% of VMS growth, but the remaining 75% comes from other businesses tracked in SPINS data. Both serve as a reminder that a strong eCommerce presence that complements a brick-and-mortar approach is a smart tactic in today’s market.

(Based on SPINS data that includes Total US MULO and Convenience (powered by IRI) and Natural Channel for 52 Weeks Ending June 12, 2022, versus year ago.)

  1. Attributes Help Shoppers Pick the Right Supplement

Because shoppers can select supplements to focus on their specific wellness needs, top-selling items give us a glimpse into their motivations and daily lives. For instance, the last two years have not been easy for anyone between the pandemic, adjusting to work-from-home life, and a variety of other stressors. (As we discussed earlier this year.) It’s no surprise, then, that supplements with melatonin and adaptogens—attributes shoppers turn to for mental focus—are seeing double-digit growth. Similarly, these new routines (or whatever “new normal” everyone is adjusting to) are not slowing down day-to-day demands, and energy-boosting supplements like caffeine and nootropics are also on the rise. These product attributes are boosting sales across the supplements category:

  • Melatonin is up 15.3%
  • Sleep is up 17.4%
  • Mood is up 43.0%

(Based on SPINS Natural Enhanced Channel and MULO, powered by IRI for the 52 Weeks Ending May 15, 2022.)


  1. Label Claims Promote Supplements

Shoppers are proving that they want and expect the same better-for-you labels in supplements that are easily found in food and beverage products. Sales show that label claims, such as organic and vegan, are meaningful attributes for shoppers within the supplements category:

  • Labeled grass fed products are up 36%
  • Labeled vegan are up 31%
  • Labeled Non-GMO are up 24%
  • Major 8 Allergen Free are up 11%


(Based on SPINS Natural Enhanced Channel and MULO, powered by IRI for the 52 Weeks Ending May 15, 2022.)

Supplements have established themselves as a vital part of wellness shoppers’ daily lives. The category’s persistent growth has proven that shoppers are eager to find items that address their wellness goals and needs—and they’ll look for them online and in person. If you’re interested in learning more about the attributes that are driving this growth or want to explore how omnichannel insights can help you grow, contact us today.